Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Week 13 Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales (1) Part B

King O’Toole and his Goose
- King O’Toole is obviously very self-centered, because the narrator thinks I should have heard of him and I never have.
- I like that the narrator addresses the reader, making the story more personal. By referencing back to the reader every so often, you make sure that the reader is paying attention.
- How the story is written/told is exactly how I would imagine an Irish person speaking. I even dabbled reading some lines with an Irish accent for authenticity.
- Honestly, the plot wasn’t that good and I was focused more on practicing my accent than paying attention.

The Shee an Gannon and the Gruagach Gaire
- The explanation of words at the beginning of this section was thoughtful, because the title had a bunch of words with which had no meaning to me.
- “… put a stop to the laughing of the Gruagach Gaire, who before this, laughed always and laughed so loud that the whole world heard him.” Use the word “laugh” one more time. I don’t think there was enough.
- The subtitles that tell the readers when the settings have changed through me off a little. Just describe it???
- I thought cowboys only existed in the Old West. 

Cowboy hat with a three-leaf clover on it. Found on Celtic Cowboy.
- I know that this is too much to ask, but can’t the daughter have a say in the marriage, like just this once? 

Beth Gellert
- Llewelyn is a weird name and I don't even know how to pronounce it.
- Also, KILLING THE DOG WAS SO UNNECESSARY AND I HATED EVERY BIT OF THIS STORY.

The Tale of Ivan
- Ivan, honey, you should have definitely taken the wag and not the advice. Money is better.
- Okay, I guess in this case it was okay to get advice, because it helped him in the end, but if an old man decided to take my money that I earned working for an entire year and gave me some cliché advice instead, I would have been angry. 

Andrew Coffey
- I had a teacher in middle school with this same last name.
- I’m pretty sure that this entire story was just Andrew Coffey having a severe reaction to smoking weed, but that’s just me.

Brewery of Eggshells
- Creepy picture of kids. Fun.
- I just really wish there was more dialogue in these types of stories, because it moves the story along so much quicker.
- Also, don’t throw your children into lakes. Goblins will get them.

Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892). Link to online reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment