Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Week 13 Reading Notes: Celtic Fairy Tales (1) Part A

Connla and the Fairy Maiden
- Okay, but like, Connla of the Fiery Hair? Really? We couldn’t think of a better name? The language in the story is already bad enough. I understand that it’s supposed to be Celtic and old fashioned, but honestly, gross. I also want to know what the maiden’s “strange attire looks like.
- This fairy maiden just loves Connla out of nowhere? Sounds fake, but okay.
- I’m glad that the King’s characterization allows him to admit that he has his shortcomings.
- The apple reminds me of the evil witch’s apple in Snow White, which would make a great twist in the story if the fairy maiden ended up being evil.
- I’m glad that the Druid has a name, compared to the maiden, who should also have a maiden considering that she is a main character. This might be a little sexist.
- Basically, this story is really dramatic and I didn’t like it.

The Field of Boliauns
- The picture at the beginning creeped me out.
- I’m glad that neither of the stories that I’ve read started with “Once upon a time…”
- There’s a lot more dialogue in this than in the first story, which moves it along quicker, but the dialogue is hard to follow because I cannot seem to imagine people speaking like they do in the story.
- Leprechauns are not nice. That is all.

The Horned Woman
- Okay, if a lady with a horn on her head came barging into my apartment, I would most definitely be appalled and slightly terrified. What is wrong with this woman?
- Why does no one have names in stories like this? I’m calling the police.
- “The mistress felt herself obliged…” Oh, I get it now. She’s being compelled.
- I have no idea what went on in this story, plot wise. All I know is that there was a lot of screaming.

The Sheperd of Myddvai
- A guy that gives me his food without me asking? Sign me up.
- Kinda of puzzled why all these farm animals came out of the lake. That’s not really where they belong.
- I like the maiden only because she knows when to leave a man who is “abusive to her.” Power to you, sis.
- I would have liked the ending to be different, simply because I was expecting more out of the characters in this story compared to the others.

The Sprightly Tailor
- Again, the picture at the beginning creeped me out.
- Wishing that the main character had a name, simply because it would be easier to relate back to him.
- There is more description in this story compared to the others, allowing me to have a better understanding of setting.
- The giant reacted in the same way I would if I didn’t get attention I wanted: by stamping my feet and whining.

Munachar and Manachar
- These two already remind me of Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee from Alice in Wonderland.
- No descriptions = Sad Cassidy
Gold-Tree and Silver-Tree
- SNOW WHITE.
- The names are a little iffy, but at least they have names!
- Wishing I got descriptions of what everyone looks like. Or even just descriptions. There is too much dialogue.
- “I left them there.” SUCH A GOOD ENDING, despite the fact that the prince has two wives. Greedy bastard.

Square Celtic Knot. Found on Wikipedia Commons.

Bibliography: Celtic Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs with illustrations by John D. Batten (1892). Link to online reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment