Sunday, November 12, 2017

Learning Challenge: DESKERCISE!!!!

I realized as I was working on these deskercises that I do a lot of them when I’m sitting in class or at my desk anyway, so it was easy to work them into my homework routine anyway. I read an article from the Harvard Business Review, which gives you six different yoga exercises to try. 

The hardest one to do was definitely the reverse prayer pose, simply because my body is not as flexible as it used to be (I probably need to start stretching more than just when I’m doing my homework), and my wrists protested when I tried twisting them. Since I didn’t want to push my body too much, I stopped this exercise and moved to the next one. I’ll try to go back to this exercise each day to see if there are any changes in the flexibility of my wrists/arms. 

Not only did this stretching make me feel good physically, but mentally, because yoga makes you focus on your breathing, which directly correlates to your brain. It helped me to relax and really focus on what I was working on, which was, of course, reading the article and focusing on the poses all at once. 

I would definitely recommend trying the neck and shoulder poses, because I don’t think people truly realize how much tension they are holding there when they are stressed or focused, or in my case, both. 

What I hoped for from this article that I didn’t get was leg exercises, since your feet are usually on the floor and that is where all the blood is going. I’m definitely going to look into some of those to see if there are any that I can do while just sitting down at my desk or in class or something. This was a lot more enlightening than I thought it was going to be.  

Paws and Reflect. Found on Bare Feet Power Yoga.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cassidy!
    I went to the link that you used and gave them a try. I agree that some of those stretches are amazing as they seemed to relieve some of the tension I was carrying in the neck after staring at a board and taking notes for the last hour and fifteen minutes. I hope I can remember to do these during finals week as I am sure I will need them after the hours of studying. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cassidy,
    These are really cool exercises for sitting at a desk! I tried them and I can barely do any of them so I feel like this is a sign i need to stretch more... I will definitely be trying these out again to see if I can get more flexible, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete