Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Week 15 Reading Notes: Dante's Inferno (Part A)

1. I like that the story is told in the first-person point of view. This lets the readers connect to the narrator and focus on what he is feeling, so that they don’t have to get too creative on how they would react in a situation like Dante’s.

2. It’s cool we get a background of who Virgil is, since he’s going to be such an important part of the telling of the story. However, he didn’t need to announce it. Providing that background through description would have been good enough.

3. The illustrations provide a nice foundation for the imagination.

4. The way that the dialogue is written kind of brings me out of the story and messes up the flow of what is being told. What is being said is also written in a way people wouldn’t talk in real life, so it’s hard to believe it’s really.

5. I don’t really understand what “heathens” stay in limbo; I wish there was more explanation to it.

6. The fact that all these famous figures in history/literature are in Hell makes me wonder more about the reasons behind why they are there. Not only that, but while there are some people I did know, there are a lot of names that I did not recognize. Not listing so many but also explaining to the audience why they’re there, not as a whole, but as individuals. I realize this would make the story a lot longer but it would make the reader less confused.

7. My roommate LOVES the story of Paolo and Francesca; she even did a project on it. She actually helped explain to me what went on when I realized I was more confused than I thought I was going to be.

8. Cerberus is the dog of Hades, and his name actually means “spot” in Ancient Greek. Hades really named his dog Spot.

9. The fact that Medusa is in Hell makes me mad because what happened to her wasn’t her fault, but Poseidon’s. The fact that a man is the reason that she’s in Hell just grinds my many gears.

Image Information: "One does not simply..." meme. Found on Boarding Area.
Bibliography: Dante's Divine Comedy, translated by Tony Kline (2002). Link to online reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment